Monday, June 15, 2009

The Belle Experience-Revealing the Beauty of Kansas City


Commentary and photos by Jocelyn M. Goode

I stepped off the plane into Kansas City on early Friday June 5, 2009 with nothing on my mind because I promised not to bring any preconceptions with me. All I knew was that I'd be painting live at a studio-salon and 29 Pennies, the D.J. of the event had all the details worked out.


Morning quickly transitioned into afternoon where I found myself in downtown Kansas City, Missouri in absolute awe of the beautiful architecture and the graphic murals that spread across city buildings. Three quarters of a bison burger and a chocolate malt later, it was game time. Equipped with new painting supplies and materials, courtesy of my host 29 Pennies, I arrived at Belle Epoque to set-up.


Still unsure of what to expect or even the name of the evening's event, I stepped through the doors of the studio-salon. Instantly I realized I was in a place of great style and design. Original paintings decked the varnished walls. Tracks of bright lights lined the ceiling of the salon, which provides edgy haircuts, hair color customization and stylized cosmetology. 


J. Goode was a featured artist of the evening, there to complete a painting alla prima on a platform in the main window. I was just one instrument of the symphony of talent that night. Outside of Belle Epoque were two musicians jamming on the electric keyboard and guitar. 29 Pennies kept the vibe pulsating inside spinning the most exclusive hits in Deep House music. Stylists created hair masterpieces in the main window of the salon, drawing in passer-bys into the event like moths to a flame. The creative energy generated at the event lit up the whole artsy block.


The culminating segment of the night was a fashion show where bikini-clad models sported a new line of eco-friendly reusable bags. Guests filtered in and out of the space during the three hours it took for me to complete my painting. I chose to give props to Kansas City by including two famous landmarks in my composition. Many inspired guests had the will to approach me while I was working to share interesting facts about the city.


The array of diversity and creativity was amazing. Never would I have imagined that an under-the-radar place such as Kansas City would epitomize all the FAIM Internet Magazine represents-Fashion, Art, Interactivity and Movement. Belle Epoque's event was a success and I am honored to have played a part in making it a hit. To learn more about the studio-salon which hosts other types of interactive, creative showcases, visit www.belleepoque-kc.com. To learn more about the art and architecture of Kansas City, get on a plane and go see it for yourself, it's definitely worth the journey!




J.Goode laying down the beginnings of her painting



My host, 29 Pennies spinning Deep House
Robert Anthony and Merisa Okic of Pique Magazine covered the event






My painting completed in three hours

No comments:

Post a Comment